Welcome to our island
Round Island has been in the ownership of the Palmer family since 1968.
The early history of the island indicates that the Island formed part of the Rempstone and Wareham Estate until 1935 when it was sold to the Hon Kathleen Laurence, Daughter of Lord Illiffe.
The instruction of Sir Edward Maufe MA FRIBA, (the Architect of Guildford Cathedral) to design and oversee the construction of the main house on the Island is attributed to Kathleen Laurence, who also gained planning permission for the pier and permission for a further three cottages which now comprise two of the holiday cottages.
The pier, at 110 feet long, leads to a boathouse and slipway and the island is served by its own water supply.
From 1940 the Island was requisitioned by the Royal Navy and combined as a training ground as HMS Turtle which was based at the Marines base in Hamworthy.
The peaceful surroundings inspired Sir Thomas Beecham, a visitor to the Island to pen his biography of the composer, Frederick Delius.